Although most of the work done at Southeastern Med is carried out by trained medical professionals, there are certain areas where we could use your help! If you're at least 16 years or older and are looking for a volunteer opportunity in Southeastern Ohio, we have exciting and rewarding volunteer positions for you.
There are many reasons to volunteer and you should consider applying if you are:
- Looking to build your resume
- Interested in a career in medicine or healthcare
- Retired and miss working with others in the Guernsey County area
- Simply wanting to give back to your community
The benefits of becoming a volunteer at Southeastern Med include:
- Discounts at our gift shop
- Opportunities to learn new skills
- Annual service award program & dinner
- Christmas Party
HOW OUR VOLUNTEERS HELP
Volunteers help add that special touch to the services we provide for patients and visitors of our hospital. The warm smiles and positive attitudes of volunteers can significantly improve a patient's experience at Southeastern Med.
Volunteers help by:
- Greeting visitors
- Escorting patients around the medical center
- Spending time with patients in need of support
- Acting as a liaison between staff, patients and family members in the surgery department
- Assisting patients and staff on patient care units
- Delivering mail, flowers or cards to patients
- Working on special projects like information packets and mailings
HOW TO VOLUNTEER
If you're interested in becoming a hospital volunteer or would like information, please contact Rita Nolan, Volunteer Coordinator, at 740.439.8147.
Requirements for volunteers include:
- An interview
- Note from your physician stating that you're able to volunteer
- Background check
- Orientation program and training
- TB & mandatory flu vaccine (paid for by medical center)
Gift Shop volunteers greet and assist customers with purchases, run the cash register, restock merchandise and other duties. If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity and becoming a gift shop volunteer, please contact Sherry Miller, Gift Shop Coordinator, at 740.439.8153.
Gift shop hours are:
10:00 AM - 8:00 PM Monday - Friday
12:00 PM - 4:00 PM Saturday & Sunday
Gift Shop Phone: 740.439.8149
Volunteers in the Endoscopy Unit direct patients coming in for Endoscopy services, compile patient charts, make lab runs and assist with dismissals.
Hours are 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM Monday - Friday.
Volunteers at the information desk greet visitors and patients upon their arrival and escort them to appropriate or requested locations. Volunteers in this position also run errands for various departments.
Main responsibilities include:
- Greeting patients and visitors
- Escorting patients
- Taking mail delivery cart throughout the medical center
- Delivering flowers and mail to our patient rooms
This is a great position for detail-oriented individuals who like to keep busy and work with people. Volunteers at Outpatient Registration greet patients and enter them into our computerized tracking system.
- Keeping records for outpatient testing
- Directing patients to the registration area
- Escorting patients to different floors for tests
Hours are very flexible. Shifts usually fall between 7:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM.
PHYSICAL THERAPY/OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
The volunteer will assist with the changing of tables, folding towels and other duties that will help therapists.
Hours are 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
SURGERY WAITING ROOM
Volunteers looking for an exciting and fast-paced position will enjoy working in the Surgery Waiting room where they act as the main liaison between the surgery staff and families.
- Acting as a liaison between surgery staff and family and friends of our patients
- Escorting visitors to appropriate areas
- Assisting and offering information about locations and services available at Southeastern Med
The hours are flexible and generally fall between 7:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 12:00 PM - 4:30 PM.