Although most of the work done at Southeastern Med is carried out by trained medical professionals, there are certain areas where we could use your help! If you're at least 16 years or older and are looking for a volunteer opportunity in Southeastern Ohio, we have exciting and rewarding volunteer positions for you.
There are many reasons to volunteer and you should consider applying if you are:
- Looking to build your resume
- Interested in a career in medicine or health care
- Retired and miss working with others in the Guernsey County area
- Simply wanting to give back to your community
The benefits of becoming a volunteer at Southeastern Med include:
- Free meals
- Discounts at our gift shop and OTC items in the pharmacy
- Opportunities to learn new skills
- Service award programs
- Special dinner events
- Educational programs
HOW OUR VOLUNTEERS HELP
Volunteers help add that special touch to the services we provide for patients and visitors of our hospital. The warm smiles and positive attitudes of volunteers can significantly improve a patient's experience at Southeastern Med. Volunteers help by:
- Greeting visitors
- Escorting patients around the medical center
- Spending time with patients in need of support
- Acting as a liaison between staff, patients and family members in the emergency room, intensive care and surgery departments
- Assisting patients and staff on patient care units
- Delivering mail, flowers or cards to patients
- Operating our shuttle service
- Working on special projects like information packets and mailings.
HOW TO VOLUNTEER
If you're interested in becoming a hospital volunteer or would like information, please contact Rita Nolan, Volunteer Coordinator at 740.439.8147.
Requirements for volunteers include:
- An interview
- Background check
- Orientation program and training
- TB & mandatory flu vaccine (paid for by medical center)
- Please consider volunteering to help our Southeastern Med patients who need your caring hands.
Southeastern Med needs volunteers to work at our hospital gift shop!
If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity and becoming a gift shop volunteer, please contact:
Sherry Miller - Coordinator
Gift shop hours are:
10:00AM- 2:00PM, 2:00PM- 5:30PM and 5:30PM – 8:00PM Monday – Friday
12:00PM – 4:00PM Saturday & Sunday
Gift Shop Phone: 740-439-8149
Gift Shop volunteers greet and assist customers with purchases, run cash register, restock merchandise and other duties.
- Keeping a log of E.D. Customers in tracking system
- Greeting visitors and offering assistance
- Running errands for emergency and registration associates
- Taking patients from triage to assigned rooms
- Getting warm blankets for patients
- Hours are flexible
Hours are 8:00AM - 1:00PM Monday - Friday
The volunter in the Endoscopy unit directs patients coming in for Endoscopy services, compiles patient charts, makes lab runs and assists with dismissals.
Volunteers at the information desk greet visitors and patients upon their arrival and escort them to appropriate or requested locations. Volunteers in this position also run errands for various departments.
Main responsibilities include:
- Greeting patients and visitors
- Escorting patients
- Taking mail delivery cart throughout the medical center
- Delivering flowers and mail to our patient rooms
This is a great position for detail-oriented individuals who like to keep busy and work with people. Volunteers at Outpatient Registration greet patients and enter them into our computerized tracking system.
- Keeping records for outpatient testing
- Directing patients to the registration area
Hours are very flexible. Shifts usually fall between 7:00AM to 12:00PM. and 12:00PM to 5:00PM.
PHYSICAL THERAPY/OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
Hours are 1:00PM - 5:00PM Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
The volunteer will assist with the changing of tables, folding towels and other duties that will help therapists.
Volunteers who love being outside should consider this position. Shuttle service volunteering involves providing transportation for patients to and from the medical center and parking areas.
- Retrieving shuttles from the garage
- Circulating the parking areas for people needing transportation
- Responding to parking areas when a request button has been activated
- Using a two-way radio to communicate with volunteer desk
Hours are flexible, but usually run from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Acting as a liaison between surgery staff and family and friends of our patients
- Assisting and offering information about locations and services available at Southeastern Med
- Providing pagers for family members while their loved one is in surgery
The hours are flexible and generally fall between 7:00AM to 12:00PM and 12:00PM to 5:00PM