Cardiovascular disease is the most common cause of death in the United States. Roughly 38 percent of people die from the disease each year.
The best way to prevent becoming a part of this statistic is to take good care of your heart. Here is a list of the 3 unhealthiest and 3 healthiest items you can do for your heart.
- High cholesterol – When you consume too much cholesterol, it begins to build up on the walls of your arteries. Your heart then works extra hard to pump blood through your body. When your arteries become completely blocked, that when a heart attack.
The most common contributors to high cholesterol include poor diet, lack of exercise and obesity.
- High blood pressure – Added pressure on the coronary arteries causes the tissue inside the arteries to become damaged. This reduces the arteries’ efficiency in preventing plaque buildup, which leads to the arteries narrowing over time. Once an artery is blocked, a heart attack will follow.
- Smoking: This unhealthy habit can double your chances of having a heart attack. That’s mainly because it raises your cholesterol and blood pressure, but it also causes inflammation, clotting and heart rhythm issues.
- Exercise – exercising 30-45 minutes daily helps you lose weight, reduce stress, and lower your blood pressure and LDL cholesterol levels.
- Get enough sleep – Despite not knowing what the link is, there is definitely a correlation between sleep deprivation and poor heart health. Most doctors recommend getting between 6-8 hours of sleep each night for a better functioning heart.
- Avoid sitting for too long – Multiple studies have revealed that people who sit for long periods of time are more likely to heart problems. Even people who exercise regularly are not exempt from the side effects of long periods of sitting.
To avoid this, try getting up and moving every half hour. You can even stand and exercise while you watch TV or talk on the phone.